Monday, August 7, 2017

I'm no longer counting days...

Well, what was basically a 5 month break I got back at it today.  Between my new job, and this...

It has been painfully slow.  As in, no progress whatsoever.  I rebuilt a couple horns in the meantime.  Putzed around a bit.  But hadn't made much progress on the car.

My motivation had been low because of the delay in the custom match vinyl.  Well I got that too!  Under good advisement, I sent the company a couple pizzas for lunch one day and about a month later I got my material!  Awesome!

I've been working on the roof.  I got it sanded down to 1000 grit on 3/4 of the roof last time I left off.  Today I finished the rest of the 1000, then did the entire roof in 1500, 2000, and 3000.  I left the buffing for another day.



I did buff out the inside, mounted the chrome on the glove box and put the ash tray in.  Small, simple things but makes me feel like some sort of progress.

After I finish buffing out the roof I have the doors, front and rear quarter panels.  After that, I can start re-assembling the doors with glass, winders, rubber, etc.

I am going to try and tackle a little bit each week.  I need to get this project DONE!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Day 229 + 230

Well, admittedly progress has been painfully slow.  I've started another job and sometimes life gets in the way.  I'm still waiting on my reproduction vinyl which is a bit of a buzz kill.

In the meantime, the granddaughter's of the original owner, Louise, were in Las Vegas.  I took them out to lunch and also shared some memories with and of the car!  Very cool to meet the people who used to drive my car and in their case, even learned to drive stick on it!  Louise sounded like a very special lady.


Of particular interest is the fact that being a Florida car, it was relatively rust free.  The ladies told me that the car spent a considerable amount of time inside a Mercury dealership as some sort of display.  Very interesting.


I also have been working on the hood, I finished the underside in February.  Today I finished the top side removing all the trash, sanding, and buffing to a nice shine.  I'd say it looks okay!



I also attached the aluminum molding, VW badge, Wolfsburg crest, and chrome handle.  You can see on the bottom side I used the original style "witch hat" rubber pieces to protect from water.  On the other areas I used a special sealing puddy.




Body sanding next!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Day 228

Well, it's been a couple months+ since I've worked on the car.  Between some busy schedules, cooler weather, and a bit of funk regarding the reproduction vinyl situation...it's been a while!

I did get the engine from Michigan and brought it back while working a trip from Detroit.  The whole crew wanted to know what I had in the big bag.  I had to explain it to some pretty shocked faces.

Today it was about 60*, sunny, with a bit of wind and an overall nice day.  I spent about 4 hours in the garage doing some wet sanding.

First I did the underside of the hood which had a few drips from some heavy handed painting.  This was actually my worst run of the entire paint job.  I reduced the fan setting to be more of a circle and didn't turn the flow down.  It was a short burst but put a bunch of material on the hood too fast.  And I got to sand it off ;)

The picture below shows a technique I found on the internet.  Using permanent marker on brand new paint doesn't sound like a great idea but it acts like a guide coat to show the low spots and help with color sanding.  Once the marker is gone, you've sanded enough!  The picture shows the area to the right already started and the area to the left without any sanding.  Quite a big run.
During.

Ta - dah!
Then, I flipped it over and started working on the hood.  I am trying to my darndest to not get any sand-thru spots on this hood.  I've taped all the edges and high areas.  I made my way around the perimeter with 1500 grit and will tackle the middle portions next.  Then to 2000, 3000, and the polishing.
You can see the circles where trash has landed in the clear coat.  To be diligently sanded out.
Slowly but surely.

And at least I don't have to color sand this!