Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 25


Well, I got the axle tubes dropped off at the transaxle shop so it is up to them now to finish the transaxle.

I was going to wait and have them painted at the same time as the pan, but the timing just didn't work.  I didn't want to have parts sitting at the transaxle shop (it's been 3 months already) for a variety of different reasons.

I also got the napoleon hat ears media blasted.  Karl at A Strip Center has been great and always gets me in quickly and efficiently.

When I got back from the blaster, I put a layer of my Master Series paint, but did find out that I hadn't sealed the lid properly and had about 3/4 quarts that was hardened.  I ordered more and it should be here next week.



That was on Wednesday.  Today, I started off by cleaning the inside of the tunnel with a degreaser and plenty of water.  I then took a heat gun and my shop vac on "blower" mode and made sure to dry it for a good hour.  I'm getting ready for the special paint I have for the inside of the tunnel which encapsulates rust.  It's called Internal Frame Coating made by Eastwood.

I finished putting the ear and bottom plate on the driver's side and started the passenger.

Top part or Napoleon's hat ear
Inside of the ear, with the special encapsulating paint, before I welded.  I'll go back later and get another coat but it is a bit more difficult as there are only a few holes once it is all sealed up.

Test fit.  The gap near the two holes is factory, I replicated it exactly as the other side and also reference pictures.

Here are some pictures of the other side, which illustrates again why it was so important to replace them!


Before I painted the other side, and also this one, I took a wire wheel attached to a drill and got all the crusty pieces of rust off as best I could.  That way the paint holds well.



The finished result; needs a better grind and also welded from the bottom (which is really the top) side.



No comments:

Post a Comment