I have been working quite a bit the last few weeks so that is the reason for no updates. Caroline was also in town earlier this month so when I did have days off I was spending time with her, a reasonable trade off I guess ;-)
Today, I finished the welding on the passenger side ear, bottom plate, jack point, and battery pan patch. I grinded all the welds down and smoothed them out with the flapper disc.
I also painted the inside of the tunnel with the Eastwood Tunnel prep paint. It is a runny zinc chromate paint that will hopefully prevent any further rust issues. It's the best I can do without removing the bottom plate of the tunnel which is a task that is not worth the risk of messing up a decent pan.
On a sad note, I hit a curb today with my GTi which really made me mad! As I was pulling into a parking lot, a car had it's high beams on which distracted me and the curb was closer than I should have been...errr something like that. Looking at used wheels or a place that can repair them. I can't bear to look at my stupid, stupid mistake!