Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 9 & 10

Yesterday I finished scraping the undercoating off the bottom of the pan.  It was a major pain in the butt.  I got most of it off and hope the blaster is kind with his words and invoice :)

After I got that all squared away, I started working on getting the rear axle nuts off.  WOW.  I thought the undercoating was a pain.  To be honest, between yesterday and today's effort and $$$ outpouring, I'm pretty down in the dumps right now!

I bought the $100 special tool that is supposed to work and because the spacing between the gears was too big it would skip gears anytime it had a lot of torque on it.  I got one side off.  But the other wouldn't budge and I returned it to the store.





Today, I spent about another $150 on a breaker bar, angle iron, steel pipe, and a 36mm socket trying to get the axle nut off.  All I ended up with was a bent piece of pipe and angle iron.



And yes, I am turning it counter clockwise :)

I'm really at a loss for what to do.  I'm soaking the nut overnight in PB Blaster hoping that it will work.  I wrapped a rag around the nut and just saturated it so hopefully it will soak in.

Perfectly bent angle iron :)

My other options at this point are to call a mobile trucker repair guy to use an impact wrench to get it off.  Or drill off the nut...neither of which I am too thrilled about.

The pipe hanging is connected to the gas line and filled with acetone to get all the crud out of the line.

What the good side looks like!  Ready to be sent away to the transaxle shop!


Enjoy the pictures, I'm going to have a beer!


No comments:

Post a Comment