Saturday, May 21, 2016

Day 206

12hrs in the garage yesterday...for four door pins!

A long day for sure but I had quite the task.  I had to remove my donor hinges from the banged up doors, drilling out the rivets, repairing some slight tool markings with my welder, grinding them down, media blasting them, reaming, painting, and then install.  I had to remove the bad hinge from my passenger door which also took a while as I wanted to be very careful.

This tool helped big time removing some of the stubborn pins!

Stress crack on the driver's door.  Just welded this area up and grinded down.  Good for another 58 years of use!

I got 3 of the 4 pins in and still had the driver's top side to go.  This requires a special pin that supports the rear view mirror.  So, using some ingenuity I took the good threads from my bad pin and welded them to the top of the new pin.  Turned out pretty good.  I ended up having to weld the threads on 3 times before they finally worked.  Every time I went to pound the pin in the weld cracked.  A hassle but well worth it in the end.

Ultimately, there is still some slop in the pins but I did the best I could with what I had.  It's an old car and no one expects it to be absolutely perfect.  Right. ;)

In other news, I also got the bumpers back from the chromers and they look great!

Weather has been great recently.  Looking to get the doors mounted again, clean the booth and shoot some paint!  I also have to paint the backside of the bumpers with the same paint I used on the pan to prevent them from rusting since it's hard to get a good coat of wax on them.

Moving along...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.