Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 177

Been quite busy with work and got some work on the car done today.  I got back to block sanding the parts.  I had a few small pieces and did the two doors.

I found that my spray job was fine but these parts are going to need another coat in order to fill the low spots.  The small parts all were very close but towards the end I started sanding through to metal which means the lows are still too low.

I also did each door.  The passenger side door has a few more imperfections and will require some more filler primer.
You can see some guide coat left on the bottom of the door, it needs a bit more work.
The driver's side door is pretty good, just a couple low areas that a few passes with the paint gun should take care of.  This door ended up blocking out better because I had to use some filler for the repair to replace the rusty metal bottom.  The replacement metal piece came up onto the outward portion of the door which meant more metal work, body work, but now less sanding!

I'm busy again with work this next week so will probably be slow progress on the block sanding.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 173 - 176

Well after another day of block sanding the remaining parts the car was ready for another coat of primer filler.

I also received my replacement visor for the rear view mirror which was in excellent shape.  I also sourced an NOS horn button from the UK which really makes the steering wheel pop and I'm very happy with it!

I did have to repair a broken tab that holds a tar board in the engine compartment.  I don't have a lot of pictures of me actually doing work and my lovely photographer helped with that.  :)

I also cleaned the garage out with a nice water bath and soap scrub.  Trying to remove as much dust, paint remnants, and body filler as I can.  Again, at this stage it isn't super critical because most of it will be sanded off anyway.  But also better to have it clean just because.

Here's a couple pictures of the areas I block sanded but there are still some imperfections in the panel.  Hopefully the latest layer of paint will take care of these, but if not I will do as many coats as required.

Yesterday I was able to get the fenders, hood, and decklid taken care of as well as some small pieces that needed another coat.  They all turned out well with no runs.  I did get a bit of orange peel which I attribute to the high temperature and thick material.

Today, I finished the doors, body, and top side of the hood.  They all turned out very good and I am happy with the results.  I saw two runs and again some orange peel.  It has been 105-115 degrees here the past few days and although I've been trying to get a good start in the mornings it's hard to avoid the temperatures.
Another action shot!
My neighbors have commented on how this plastic booth looks...most reviews refer to a certain serial killer.
So, the 2nd coat of primer filler is on the car.  Now back to more block sanding to get it all ready for the final paint!

Slowly....but ever so slowly.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 172

Another day of block sanding, this time on the body itself.

I got the roof done, front quarter panels, and rear quarter panels done.  They all blocked out pretty good, the rear quarter panels will for sure need a couple more coats of filler primer.

I have to finish the front and rear aprons, the passenger right rear wheel well, and the inside.  Probably at least another full day sanding and then more primer!

Having done decent body work was a good thing because it is saving me time when it comes to blocking.  There are some areas that need work but nothing too crazy.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Day 171

Yesterday I continued the block sanding working on the decklid and front hood.  They both are some intricate areas and curves.  It took about 6 hours to do both and the front hood needs a bit more work!

I hope to finish that today and then move on to another layer of primer in the next few days.