Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 7

I've been busy with both jobs and had Caroline visiting over the weekend.  So little progress.

Tonight I did get the entire brake system removed from the pan.  No real issues with it.  However, upon further inspection there were quite a few "rust flakes" at the front pan bulkhead, colloquially known as "Napoleon's Hat".

So, I tried scraping and picking out what I could, but couldn't get it all...and one side of the hat isn't even accessible.  I'm going to research what it takes to drill the spot welds out, clean the area, and then reweld.

I also started scraping off the old undercoating on the bottom of the pan with a propane torch and 1" putty knife.  TEDIOUS.  I "finished" one pan half and will need another round.  I'm also going to look into a chemical removal to get the last bit of residue and such.

I need to get the pan on it's side to make it easier to work on, but it is too heavy with the transmission and front beam attached.  I think my next step will be to remove both the front suspension and transaxle.  I then should be able to tip the pan on its side to continue working on the underside of the pan.

Sorry no pictures, no real notable differences anyways!  Will have some more when I work on it next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.